What is Square Dance?
Square Dance Council
The Square Dance Council is the ECTA section for Square Dance Callers and other ECTA members who are interested in that subject area. The Square Dance Coordinator represents his section in the extended ECTA board.
Different tasks are realised by committees formed for their purpose. At the moment exist committees for
- the dance programs (Basic/Mainstream, Plus, Advanced and Challenge)
- Women in Calling
More committees will be realised for particular tasks and dissolved after achievement of objectives.
Every ECTA member can become member of the Square Dance Council. Only members with active status can vote in the council. Active and trainee members may bring in their talents in the committees. Further information on the respective categories of membership can be found here.
Since 2001 the EEP committee of ECTA works on an education guideline für the ECTA Education Program, short EEP. All members can participate in the training program and receive further training certificates through it. After passing tests EEP participants can communicate to their clubs through a shingle that they educate themselves regularly.
The ECTA Convention is the annual event with several opportunities to further education. Most seminars on the ECTA Convention are attributed to one of the education levels of EEP and convey (not only) the knowledge which is tested in the examinations.
In close cooperation with the EEP committee we also host seminars on EAASDC/ECTA-Jamborees and Fall Roundups. However, the focus of these lies on trans-sectoral topics. Furthermore we offer a platform for education on the ECTA Student Jamboree; specifically the possibility to try out the other dance forms of ECTA.
Further information about EEP can be found with the EEP-Committee.
ECTA Student Jamboree
Each year ECTA stages the ECTA Student Jamboree. In calendar years with an even number we have a Student Jamboree at the same time in the northern and southern parts of ECTA’s range. To plan an application to host this event the following information shall support you with the decision.
Even-numbered years: Student Jamboree North/South (N/S)
Odd-numbered years: one central Student Jamboree (C)
- Date of the event: last Saturday in March. If this day is also the Holy Saturday, the event will be on the first Saturday in April.
- The dates for the next years are (N/S = North/South; C = Central):
|Year||ECTA Student Jamboree||N/S; C||Holy Saturday|
|2019||March 30th, 2019||C: Tapsy Turtles||April 20th, 2019|
|2020||March 28th, 2020||N: t.b.a.|
S: Munich Swinging Bells
|April 11th, 2020|
|2021||March 27th, 2021||C||April 3rd, 2021|
|2022||March 26th, 2022||N/S||April 16th, 2022|
|2023||March 25th, 2023||C||April 8th, 2023|
|2024||March 23rd, 2024||N/S||March 30th, 2024|
- Name of the hosting club
- Proposed place of the event and the name(s) of the halls.
- A copy of he halls’ layout inclusive of all installations and rooms and their sizes.
- Benchmark for the hall
- Main hall: North, ca. 600 m²; South, ca. 700 m²; Central, ca. 900 m²; with additional space for stage, seating and possible shops on the margin of the dance floor.
- A second, smaller hall is desirable.
- Benchmark for the stages: height ca. 0.8 to 1 m, size ca. 6 x 3 m.
- Sufficient number of dressing rooms and sanitary facilities – by tendency more for ladies than for gentlemen.
- Additional space for shops
- A separate room for meetings
- If possible an event office
- Space for registration and queue (neither in rain nor blazing sun!)
- The entire budget (Excel spreadsheet available through ECTA Square Dance Coordinator)
- All other information Informationen regarding the event and it’s organization.
The following statement relates to the carried-out event in accordance with the authorized plan:
- A profit will evenly be shared by ECTA and hosting club.
- A loss will be carried by ECTA.